Take a nap
…or at least rest. Even if it’s lying down with your eyes closed for 10 min. Do it and don’t you dare feel guilty about it!
Clean up your diet
Don’t use pregnancy as an excuse for eating poorly. You are setting the foundation for healthy eating for years to come. Clean it up now and collect an armory of healthy recipes. Organize them and keep them all in one location. Once that little bundle of joy arrives, you will not want meal planning on your radar. And I’m not talking immediate meal planning. I’m talking 4 months down the road when you emerge blurry eyes from your new mom bubble and realize, oh shit! This family has to eat!
I cannot stress the importance of exercise during pregnancy. Oh wait, yes I can.
Benefits of Fitness During Pregnancy
- Helps you feel less pain and stronger in your everyday life during pregnancy
- Post-baby body recovery is faster
- Wards off post postpartum depression
- Improves mechanics during pregnancy. (If you aren’t moving correctly, you are making you and your baby vulnerable to injury.)
- Increases blood flow and oxygen to the baby
- Eliminates body toxins (this means less toxins to the baby) through diaphragm breathing
- Strengthens delivery muscles that will help you and your baby during labor.
- You’ll be calmer and stronger during delivery. (This means there is less stress on the baby and an increased likelihood of following your birth plan.)
Have regular date nights with your SO
For obvious reasons. I’m 7 months into motherhood, and Lady A is now having separation anxiety when we leave her. Date nights just don’t have the same care free feel when you know your tiny human is screaming at home.
Practice self-love and develop a ritual
A little self-care goes a long way. During pregnancy, I developed a ritual of using a beautifully scented sugar scrub for one of my showers each week. It’s the shower where I take extra special care of myself. I really wash my hair, not just a rinse, light candles and rock a play list. I’ve made myself stick to that ritual once a week as a new mom. Sun through Fri, my shower is 3 min. Saturday I get a full 20 minutes and its pure bliss. I can not wait for those Saturday showers!
Love & Leafy Greens,