If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love to cook. Over the last year, I’ve developed a pretty amazing meal planning system with 8 weeks of dinners as well as a shopping list for every week. (I’m trying to figure out how to bring this brilliance to you! Give me time. 😉 Planning meals has made a HUGE difference in terms of saving time and frustration around meals. I know at the beginning of every week what my dinners are and shop for all the ingredients I need. I eliminate any chance of eating poorly or ordering Seamless! I can’t tell you how much easier it makes life.
I wanted to share one of my very favorites with you. It’s fast (done in 30 min), easy and if you double the recipe, it still tastes amazing for the next 2 days! I’m a firm believer in cook once, eat 3x’s.
Side note: I live close to a Trader Joes and do all my grocery shopping there. I modify the recipes I find to include ingredients that I can always find there. I also change them to make sure that every recipe fits my fail proof eating mantra, “greens, grains & beans (protein).
Farro Salad with Snap Peas, Spinach and Olives
- 1 Cup of Farro
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 8 oz of Sugar Snap Peas (or about 1.5 Cups)
- 1/4 Cup of mint leaves
- 2 Tbs Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of pure Maple Syrup
- 3/4 Cup of Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup of Cashews
- 1 tsp of Nutritional Yeast
- A handful of spinach
- Olives- smash, remove pits and chop
- Lemon- zest, then juice entire lemon
- Onions- slice into thin strips
- Snap Peas- wash, cut off the ends and remove the tough string that runs down the middle, chop them in half (at an angle so you don’t lose the seeds)
- Mint-Wash and pick the mint off the stems
- Spinach-Wash and chop
- Bring a salted pot of water to boil and add your farro. Cook for 10-12 min, drain and return to pot.
- Throw your handful of spinach into the farro while it’s warm so it will wilt.
- Grab a medium pan and heat the onion, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 cup of water to boiling. Drain excess liquid and transfer to the pot of cooked farro. Wipe out your pan.
- Cook the snap peas in that pan by sauteing them with 2 teaspoons of olive oil for 2 min. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to pot of farro.
- To the pot of farro add: olives, lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, mint, cashews, nutritional yeast and a drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Eat and enjoy. Pack leftovers in a container for lunch tomorrow. 🙂
Love & Leafy Greens,